While focusing on watercolor and the use of symbolism, this program introduces a wide variety of art materials and media through simple techniques that will allow students to creatively and playfully practice self expression through imagery and within the context of identity exploration. With guidance from the instructor, students will engage in thoughtful conversations around identity, highlighting their strengths and positive attributes and discussing the importance of individualism along with the power of togetherness.
Each student will create their own unique symbolic self portrait that will be composed of watercolor, crayon, colored pencil, marker and magazine collage. The image and composition will be specific to each students’ artistic choice, but will represent a happy place, strength, positive characteristics, and beliefs important to the student.
- Students will be able to define terms such as identity, symbolism, and expression.
- Students will demonstrate their thought process regarding identity through a visual graphic organizer.
- Students will be able to demonstrate 3-5 types of art media and artistic techniques
- Students will be able to creatively express multiple aspects of their identity through mixed media visual expression to create a self-portrait
- Students will engage in both and informal critique of art and empathetic discussion around self and group identity.
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours:
- Materials: $1.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene