Students will develop a consciousness about civic art by discussing, deciding upon, and creating a collaborative mural. They will learn to choose the style, symbols, and materials most appropriate to express their culture. While working on the mural together, we will explore elements of art like composition and color, as well as how to integrate disparate parts and/or materials.
The final project will be a collaborative mural, with points of personal expressions, that communicates the collective identity of the group.
- Students will learn to connect ideas and historical context with visual imagery.
- Students will learn how to identify their personal aesthetic.
- Students will discuss and decide upon a communal expression.
- Students will learn design and composition, basic color theory, and value.
- Students will learn to work as a team to create a collaborative art piece.
- Best suited for 3rd-12th grades
- Can be modified for K-2nd grades
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 6 hours per mural residency
- Materials: $2.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene