Students will build works of “functional pottery” like bowls and mugs intended to be both beautiful and usable upon completion.
Using clay, students will learn hand-building techniques for making functional pottery, from preparing and wedging the clay to glazing the final pieces. Explore your creativity and make something you can use at home!
Each student will come away with their very own handmade mug or bowl.
- Students will learn how to prepare and wedge clay, as well as create a slab
- Students will learn techniques for joining clay, including coiling, slipping and scoring, and pinching.
- Students will gain confidence in their ability to work with their hands to create an object and work of art.
- Students will develop a foundation for understanding structural integrity and architecture in small objects.
- Students will learn how to work as a team to create a collaborative art piece.
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 2 hours per classroom (to glaze and fire student work)
- Materials: $3.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene
“Nicole was positive, encouraging and kids had a tremendous amount of fun making their pottery!” — Howard Elementary