Students will build functional vessels that are intended to be both beautiful and usable upon completion. Using clay, students will learn hand-building techniques for making pottery, from preparing the clay, to shaping and altering forms, and finally to glazing a piece. Explore your creativity and make something you can use at home!
Choose between the following options:
- Mugs and Bowls: Each student will come away with their very own handmade mug or bowl
- A Vessel for Life!: Each student will come away with their very own handmade vase or planter
- Tea Party: Each student will come away with their very own teacup, saucer, or pitcher
- Treasure Boxes: Each student will come away with their very own lidded box (recommended for grade 3 and up)
- Students will learn how to prepare and wedge clay, as well as create a slab
- Students will learn techniques for joining clay, including coiling, slipping and scoring, and pinching.
- Students will gain confidence in their ability to work with their hands to create an object and work of art.
- Students will develop a foundation for understanding structural integrity and architecture in small objects.
- Students will learn how to work as a team to create a collaborative art piece.
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 3 hours per classroom (to glaze and fire student work)
- Materials: $3.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene
“Nicole was positive, encouraging and kids had a tremendous amount of fun making their pottery!” — Howard Elementary