***This program is fully booked for the remainder of the 2019-20 school year; please let us know if you are interested in bringing Tara to your school in 2020-21!***
This residency teaches the traditional Japanese practices of Omamori making, a practice of creating a talisman of protection or personal affirmation. Students will create their own talisman, an object enchanted by its creator to bring good luck, abundance, and protection. They will learn the cultural importance of Omamori and its historical significance. This residency practices mindfulness, student expression, and personal affirmation as a creative act. Students will work hands-on with fiber arts, drawing, and knot making.
Omamori – Japanese Talisman
- Students will gain cultural understanding of the Omamori traditions
- Students will be able to clearly communicate the content and context of their work visually, orally and in writing
- Students will be able to work independently to achieve stated goals.
- An understanding of the tools and techniques of Omamori crafting.
- Students will be able to assimilate mindfulness by making connections between artistry and ritual.
- Program can be adjusted for all grades K-12.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes per visit: $180/classroom
- Prep hours: 1 hour per classroom (cutting materials, finding selections, making instruction hands out): $17.50/classroom
- Materials: ~$2.00/student
- Travel from Eugene