Experience Latin music and dance with this dynamic residency. Students will learn the basic steps and several patterns of Latin dances, including salsa, merengue, cha cha cha, bachata, and cumbia. If an assembly is requested, students will get to perform a simple dance routine that they learn during the residency.
Students will also learn about the intricate music behind these dance styles. Jose will demonstrate the rhythms of these styles of Latin music, and students will get to participate in playing rhythm instruments such as the Cowbell, clave, and guiro.
While learning the steps and rhythms of salsa, students also build strong self-esteem and learn individuality and how to treat others with respect. Jose says, “They will not only learn how to dance, but will learn how to socialize, communicate with others and become a confident adult. No matter where they are from, even if they don’t speak the same language, they make friends all around the world when they dance salsa.”
Students will know the fundamentals of several Latin dance styles, including salsa, merengue, cha cha cha, bachata, and cumbia. In the process, students also learn interpersonal skills and learn about Latin cultures.
• Learn basic steps for several Latin dances
• Practice interpersonal skills through partner dancing
• Practice body coordination and balance
• Understand rhythms and syncopation
- Appropriate for all grade levels. The structure of the classes will be tailored to the grade level.
- 4 sessions at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 15 minutes per session
- Materials: $0 <