In this acting and sustainable craft program, students will gather elements of nature to create a handheld character. Classrooms will be led through character development exercises that explore body, voice, and text work. On the final day, students will present their character to the class from a small puppet theatre. This work begins outside and ends on stage. Classrooms will be left with a gallon jar terrarium filled with dirt from each student, gathered on Day 1. As the months pass and life inside begins to grow, the class will have the tools to turn the jar into a character of their own.
By the end of this residency, students will have created and shared a character, complete with a physicality, voice, and line of text, all out of sustainable materials.
- Students will build a sustainable mindset.
- Students will learn the vocabulary and steps for creating a character.
- Students will explore physical and vocal choices.
- Students will engage in creative writing.
- Students will build audience etiquette while also performing for their peers.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes per visit
- Prep hours: 2 hours per classroom
- Materials: $1.25 per classroom
- Travel from Eugene