Smeede HotelSaturday, May 30, 2015 | Starts at 10:00am  

View the Historic Sites Tour Guide!

Put on your walking shoes and join Lane Arts Council to explore Eugene’s Historic sites located throughout Downtown Eugene during Historic Preservation Month.

The free tour is scheduled for Saturday, May 30th, starting at 10am at the Shelton McMurphey Johnson House.  The tour will last approximately 2.5 to 3 hours.  Refreshments will be provided at a half-way point.

The featured buildings on the tour are all on the National Register of Historic Places, and a majority are also City Landmarks.  The tour will visit 15 sites, fully listed below.

The Historic Sites Tour will be led by Bob Hart, Executive Director of the Lane County Historical Society & Museum, Preservation Architect Donald Peting, and retired Architect Dick Williams.  Tour attendees will also hear from site-specific hosts.

This tour is made possible by support from the Lane County Historical Society & Museum, Shelton McMurphey Johnson House, and the Oregon Electric Station.

Parking for the tour:

To access the Shelton McMurphey Johnson House, take Pearl St up to 3rd Ave and turn left.  Tour attendees can park in the Shelton McMurphey Johnson House parking lots, located on either side of the house (do not park in the Ya-Po-Ah spots). Additional free street parking is available nearby. There is also a pay-to-park lot across Shelton McMurphey Boulevard, with a walkway leading straight to the house.

Special thanks to our sponsors!

Lane County Historical Society     SMJ Logo         OES-Final-Logo-Web

The Sites on the Tour

Shelton McMurphey Johnson House

1.  Now: Shelton McMurphey Johnson House
Address: 303 Willamette St
Year: 1888
Architect: Walter D. Pugh
Builder: Lord Nelson Roney

The Campbell HouseThe Campbell House 2

2.  Now: The Campbell Inn & Restaurant
Formerly: Campbell House
Address: 252 Pearl St
Year: 1892

Eugene Depot

3.  Now: Eugene Depot
Formerly: Southern Pacific Passenger Depot
Address: 433 Willamette St
Year: 1908

Oregon Electric Station

4.  Now: Oregon Electric Station
Formerly: Oregon Electric Railway Passenger Station/Oregon Electric Depot
Address: 27 E 5th Ave
Year: 1914
Architect: A.E. Doyle, Patterson & Beech, Builders: Moore Bros.

Palace Hotel22 Palace Hotel, now Lane Building

5.  Now: Lane Building
Formerly: Gross Hotel, Griggs Hotel, Palace Hotel, Lane Hotel
Address: 488 Willamette St
Year: 1903
Builder: Van Dorn McFarland

Post Office

6.  Now: US Post Office
Address: 520 Willamette St
Year: 1937-1939
Architect: Gilbert Stanley Underwood

Pacific Cooperative Poultry Producers

7.  Now: The Green Store, Allann Bros. Coffee, Chocolate Decadence & more
Formerly: Pacific Cooperative Poultry Producers, Down to Earth, Banana Warehouse
Address: 182 W 5th Ave
Year: 1928

Lane County Farm's Union Cooperative Warehouse Co

Now: Down to Earth
Formerly: Lane County Farmer’s Union
Address: 532 Olive St
Year: 1923

Wow Hall interior36 WOW Hall34 WOW Hall

8.  Now: Woodmen of the World Hall (W.O.W. Hall)
Address: 291 W 8th Ave
Year: 1932
Architect: John Hunzicker

AxBilly and DAC

9  Now: Downtown Athletic Club
Formerly: Ax-Billy Department Store
Address: 999 Willamette St
Year: 1909/1910
Designer: William T Campbell

Schaefers Building

10.  Now: Schaefers Building
Address:  Corner of 10th & Willamette
Year: 1929
Designer: Truman Phillips
Architects: Hunzicker & Smith
Builders: Stein Brothers

McDonald Theatre

11.  Now: McDonald Theatre
Address: 1004 Willamette St
Year: 1925

Eugene Hotel

12.  Now: The Eugene Hotel (Eugene’s Premier Retirement Community)
Formerly: Eugene Hotel
Address: 222 E Broadway
Year: 1924
Architect: John Hunzicker

Quackenbush Building

13.  Now: Quackenbush Building
Formerly: W. Quackenbush & Son’s Hardware
Address: 160 E Broadway
Year: 1902

Tiffany Building

14. Now: The Tiffany Building
Formerly: McMorran & Washburne Department Store
Address: 795 Willamette St
Year: 1902
Builder: Lord Nelson Roney

Smeede Hotel

15.  Now: The Smeede Hotel Building
Formerly: Baker Hotel, Hotel Eugene, Hotel Smeede, Smeede Hotel
Address: 767 Willamette St
Year: 1884/1885
Builder: George H. Park
Remodel: Unthank Seder Poticha Architects

Historic Tour map