Design Arts Apprenticeship Program
The design arts apprenticeship program offers Lane County middle and high school students apprenticeship opportunities in graphic, digital, and physical design. Students pair with a professional designer, working alongside their mentor to understand the profession, explore specific ways to approach design, and begin creating on their own. In addition to learning a creative practice, students also explore the business aspects of a creative career, bolstering college and career readiness regardless of their chosen field.
The apprenticeship program:
- Pairs 3-4 students with an artist mentor, for a total of 25 after-school hours over a 10 week period for intensive, direct learning.
- Supports students in creating a hands-on project that can be presented or demonstrated at the end of the term.
- Introduces business aspects of a creative career.
- Provides students professional training opportunities through workshops and community talks with international designers.
Professional artists, designers, educators and arts organizations are working together to guide students who may be considering a career in design or another creative field. Whether or not students pursue these careers, the apprenticeship experience will help them cultivate “world of work” skills they can utilize in any profession.
Past mentors have brought experience in wood and metal design, fashion design, graphic design, digital projection, 3D rendering, ceramics, and electrical engineering.
Important Dates for 23-24 Apprenticeship
- Applications due by: September 25th
- Kickoff Event (virtual): October 3rd 6-7 pm
- 10-Week Apprenticeship*: October 16th-January 5th (no meetings 11/23-24 or 12/18-1/2)
- Final Showcase: January 5th 5-8pm (at Spark on 7th in Eugene)
- Applications due by: December 29th
- Kickoff Event (virtual): January 9th 6-7 pm
- 10-Week Apprenticeship*: January 22nd-April 5th (no meetings 3/25-3/29)
- Final Showcase: April 5th 5-8pm (at Spark on 7th in Eugene)
- Applications due by: April 1st
- Kickoff Event (virtual): April 9th 6-7 pm
- 10-Week Apprenticeship*: April 22nd-June 28th
- Final Showcase: June 28th, 5-7pm (at Spark on 7th in Eugene)
Apprenticeship groups will meet in Eugene unless otherwise noted in the mentor descriptions. Most groups will meet at 942 Olive St., the University of Oregon’s Innovation Hub. Other groups may meet at the mentor’s studio.
The exact timing and day of week each group will hold their weekly 2-2.5 hour meetings will be determined by the apprentices and mentors at the Kickoff event.
Pay What You Can
Our Design Arts Apprenticeship program provides invaluable experiences for students of all backgrounds, and accessibility is central to our program model. To avoid any barriers to participation due to cost, we ask that families assess the value of the program relative to their budget and make a financial contribution at the end of each term. This support from participants helps us maintain the quality and longevity of our apprenticeships for future students and families.
This program is a partnership with the University of Oregon Department of Product Design and is supported in part by awards from the Oregon Community Foundation and WLS Spencer Foundation. In kind contributions are also provided by Opal Center for Arts & Education and Connected Lane County.
Images from previous terms of Design Arts Apprenticeship: