In this fun and exploratory residency, students will create original artwork while learning some of the math and science behind the art of tie dye. Students will apply what they learn about the gravity of pigments, water surface tension, tying techniques and their results, mathematics of folding, shaping and wrapping techniques, color theory, and dye application techniques to create their own usable, wearable art. Tie dye includes life lessons of planning, patience, hopefulness, surprise, and that we can only control so much of any situation, as creativity, science, and chaos collide to make tie dye art that students will love for years to come.
Students will take home their own tie dyed canvas drawstring backpack, tie dyed apron, or their own tie dyed socks or tie dyed bandana (choices vary by site). While learning about different folding techniques, students will generate paper art as well as “dyed” coffee filter flowers, to be displayed on a garden-themed wall-mural in the school or community, as decided by teachers, students, and parents.
- Students will explore solutions, when powders are dissolved into fluids. They will learn that the heavier molecules create thicker solutions and learn how that applies to wet dye applications on fabric.
- Students will learn artistic geometry through exploring different folding techniques on paper and on fabric, and their resulting shapes and angles.
- Students will learn planning and patience skills through the process of planning their work and waiting for it to cure, which takes at least 24 hours.
- Students will be able to create their own wearable works of art, and share their finished products with the class.
- Students will be able to understand a new form of art, and learn that everyone can make art.
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 1.5 hours per classroom
- Materials: $3.90 per student
- Travel from Veneta
**4j schools choosing this residency through the ArtSpark program will be required to pay a portion of the material fees**
This residency requires a 2-3 day gap between the 3rd and 4th sessions to allow for the dyed items to be rinsed out.
This residency works best in rooms with a sink, washable tables, and no carpeting.