Fascinating concepts in math become accessible when explored through both colorful and invigorating art activities to which also serve different learning styles. Using the approach of visual and movement arts, students investigate mathematical ideas such as combinatorics, symmetry, patterns and geometry. Art forms applied include choreography and movement games, print making using Gelli plates.
Students will create art work that reflects the math ideas of combinatorics, symmetry, patterns and geometry, that were explored during the residency which will take the form of the handshake dance, math dance, geometry explorations, and print making art.
- Students will gain a new understanding of what “Math” can be which translates into comfort with, curiosity and enthusiasm for an often feared subject.
- Students will gain understanding of math concepts such as combinatorics and different types of symmetry.
- Students will learn feel confident using experimentation as a method of learning and testing math concepts.
- Students will learn skills necessary for creating collaborative work in an equitable, supportive manner.
- Students will develop print making, and choreography skills and learn corresponding terminology.
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 1 hour per classroom
- Materials: $0.50 per student
- Travel from Corvallis