About the Program
The design arts apprenticeship program offers Lane County middle and high school students apprenticeship opportunities in graphic, digital and physical design. Students pair with a professional designer, working alongside their mentor to understand the profession, explore specific ways to approach design, and begin creating on their own. In addition to learning a creative practice, students also explore the business aspects of a creative career, bolstering college and career readiness regardless of their chosen field.
The apprenticeship program:
- Pairs 3-4 students with an artist mentor, for a total of 25 after-school hours over a 10 week period for intensive, direct learning.
- Supports students in creating a hands-on project that can be presented or demonstrated at the end of the term.
- Introduces business aspects of a creative career.
- Provides students professional training opportunities through workshops and community talks with international designers.
Professional artists, designers, educators and arts organizations are working together to guide students who may be considering a career in design or another creative field. Whether or not students pursue these careers, the apprenticeship experience will help them cultivate “world of work” skills they can utilize in any profession.
Past mentors have brought experience in wood and metal design, fashion design, graphic design, digital projection, 3D rendering, ceramics and electrical engineering.
Important Dates for Spring 2021 Term:
- Applications Due: March 19th, 2021
- Kickoff Event: April 7th, 2021
- 10-Week Apprenticeship: April 12th-June 18th, 2021
- Final Showcase Week: June 19th-26th, 2021
Learn more at: http://lanear