During this residency, students will learn techniques for building with clay and work as a team to envision and create a one of a kind work of art to be installed in their school or classroom. Classes can use this as a means to explore themes or concepts they are learning about, to make a piece that reflects the values of your school community, or as an opportunity for students to experience the value of working and thinking with their peers. Working as a team, we will bring the class’s ideas to life and create a sculpture that can be installed somewhere in the school.
By the end of the residency, we will create a 3D free-standing or hanging wall piece that all the students contribute to, which can be installed somewhere in the school.
- Students will be able to use hand building techniques for working with clay including coiling, pinching, and slipping and scoring.
- Students will learn about the different stages of ceramics, from working with green clay, bisque, and final glazed work.
- Students will learn about working as a team on a collaborative art piece.
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 3 hours per classroom (to glaze and fire student work)
- Materials: $3.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene
“Nicole was positive, encouraging and kids had a tremendous amount of fun making their pottery!” — Howard Elementary