Lane Arts Council and the City of Eugene Cultural Services Division proudly present a special November Workshop, Creating An Effective Artist Portfolio Workshop & Art Gallery Panel Discussion on Saturday, November 15, 2014! Read More and Register Here.
PART 1: Creating An Effective Artist Portfolio Workshop
Presented by Dan Schmitt, Ceramics Artist & Lane Community College Faculty Member
This workshop will cover the basics of creating an effective artist portfolio. Topics covered will include portfolio formats; what a portfolio is comprised of and used for; how to tailor your portfolio to different markets; and the basics of documenting your work and presenting your portfolio in the best way possible. We will provide examples of different ways to compile a portfolio along with a list of resources for creating and formatting your artist portfolio to best suit your marketing needs.
Topics covered include:
- Digital and analog formats to build your portfolio in
- What a basic portfolio contains
- Presentation and organization of artwork for various bodies of work or styles
- Basics of documenting artwork for various portfolio formats
- Image lists and organization
- What to include or exclude depending on your target audience
- Basic writing guidelines for an artist statement
- Basic writing guidelines for an artist bio
- Artist resumes/CVs
There will be a 30min break following the workshop to network, eat lunch, and participate in a focused discussion facilitated by Liora Sponko, Executive Director of Lane Arts Council.
PART 2: Art Gallery Panel Discussion
Join us for an intimate discussion with regional art gallery representatives. Learn the best practices for approaching these art venues and more! Panelists include:
• Beverly Soasey, Artistic Director at the Jacobs Gallery (Eugene)
• Steven Dennis, Earthworks Gallery (Yachats & Newport)
• Tallmadge Doyle, Professional Artist
• Jud Turner, Professional Artist
PART 3: Portfolio Review Gallery representatives will be available following the panel discussion to answer individual’s questions and provide direct feedback on participant’s portfolios.
About the Presenter:
Dan Schmitt has been a working ceramic artist in Eugene for the past fifteen years and has exhibited his work both regionally and nationally. He curated both regional and national ceramic exhibits, taught at the University of Oregon, and currently teaches at Lane Community College.
This workshop fee is $25-$40 (sliding scale).
This workshop is presented in partnership with the City of Eugene Cultural Services Division.