Students will learn the basics of acrylic painting and the elements of design and apply them as they go step by step to create their own piece of art inspired by a painting of their choosing. Through this process, students will gain the confidence to create the colors, shapes, and brushstrokes that are in their reference painting. Each step of the way students will find opportunities to explore and stretch their own artistic voice.
Each student will have completed an acrylic painting to take home.
- Students will be able to identify the basic elements of design and begin to apply them in their own work (line, shape, form, value, and color) These skills will also allow students to judge art critically.
- Students will learn how to create lines and apply different brushstrokes.
- Students will learn how to mix their own colors using primary colors.
- 1st-8th grade
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 3 hour per classroom
- Materials: $3.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene
“Students really enjoyed learning about/experiencing acrylic painting and also having lots of freedom to create without judgement. They had lots of modeling and support from Alejandro!” -teacher at Willamette High School
Why I love teaching art:
“I love sharing my creation and my process with others, and inspiring others to explore their own artistic journey. At the same time, I am all about improving my art and refining my process, so I find teaching to be one of the best ways to do that. The more I teach, the more I learn, and the more I grow as an artist.” -Alejandro Sarmiento