This fun and active residency will explore the history and fundamentals of Salsa dancing. There will be a focus on exploring musicality, frame, posture, and the connection between leading and following. The first class will focus on basic steps and origin of Salsa. The second class will focus on outside turns for leading and following, as well as the instruments used in Salsa. The third class will focus on Cross Body Lead and the different Salsa styles. The forth class will focus on simple phrases and the differences between Salsa and Mambo.
At the conclusion of this residency, students will perform the Salsa steps they have learned.
- Students will gain knowledge of Salsa dancing including the origins, music, and instruments used.
- Students will be able to perform the basic steps of the Salsa.
- Students will learn how to both lead and follow.
- Students will have fun dancing!
Grades 3-5th, Grades 6th-8th (can be adapted for all ages)
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 3 hours per school
- Materials: There is no material fee for this residency, but access to a sound system or speakers are preferred.
- Travel from Eugene
****This residency is only available Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.****
Why I teach:
“I teach dance because I am so passionate about expressing through movement while listening to music. Dancing brings me so much happiness. I enjoy passing that to students and seeing their smiles while they move. Dancers create magic and it makes them feel very special and magical.” -Florabelle Moses