#instaballet brings ballet out of the theatre and teaches students to use their creativity by placing students in the role of choreographer. Students share ideas that are translated into movement on professional dancers and work in teams to create and practice movement phrases, culminating in a new dance work that is for and about them. Through a series of 4 workshops, students learn choreographic tools, practice creating new movement in community with each other, and learn basic dance movements. The workshops culminate in a new dance work that can be performed for friends, family, and classmates during the final workshop. #instaballet’s flexible and inclusive approach allows all students to participate in the way that works best for them, creating a supportive environment where students are taught to use their own creativity.
Students learn how dance movement is created, learn about and apply choreographic tools as well as basic movement techniques, and collaborate with professional dancers to create and perform a new dance work.
- Students will understand the use of and importance of dance as an expressive medium.
- Students will learn how dance can be an inclusive art form used by and for anyone, disrupting misconceptions and myths previously learned.
- Students will learn and be able to use choreographic tools to manipulate and generate movement phrases.
- Students will learn choreographic process and how choreography can be used to express ideas.
- Students will be able to generate or manipulate choreographic phrases to express an idea or concept.
- Students will collaborate with peers to practice use of choreographic tools and communicate ideas.
- Students will integrate the above concepts and strategies to create a complete new dance work.
- This residency program is designed for one class or one grade level, and is committed to
programming that includes or is designed for SPED or Life Skills classrooms. In particular,
this workshop series is well-suited for ages 8-14.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 6 hours per classroom
- Materials: no material fees required for this residency
- Travel from Eugene
- Additional $160 for participation of professional dancers
**This residency requires a gymnasium or auditorium**
**4j schools choosing this residency through the ArtSpark program may be required to pay a portion of the prep and artists fees for this residency**
#instaballet is committed to equitable access to dance. Because multiple artists are involved in this residency, costs may be higher. If this residency is cost prohibitive, reach out to Ben Minnis at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about funding support options that are available.