From magnets to window decorations, this program gets students exploring the world of glass arts to make fused beauties.
Learn about the incredibly diverse material of glass in all its forms and stages. Fuse pieces of glass together to create a permanent bond and understand its relationship with temperature and ‘stress’. Walk away with pieces to take home such as a magnet, necklace and/or small dish.
A small fused glass piece made from clear, colored and accessory glass that can be taken home or kept in the classroom.
Students will learn about the basic disciplines of glass and see examples of objects they may see in their life that come from glasswork.
Students will learn how to work within size and material limitations, practicing decision skills and maintaining boundaries while creating their small works.
- Students will learn how to work with glass and share tools/supplies with their classmates in a safe and supportive way.
- Students will gain public speaking confidence when sharing their end piece with the class.
- Students will learn the science behind glass as a material and how temperature effects the level of fusing in the glass.
- Best suited for for 3rd through 12th grades.
- Can be modified for Kindergarten through 2nd grades.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 1 hour per classroom
- Materials: $2.00 per student
- Travel from Eugene
Why I teach art:
“Kids are the best people to work with because learning is exciting for them. They express their ideas with complete wonder and create freely with little inhibitions. I am here to hold space for that moment- I am here to support and encourage that feeling as much as possible.”