Exploring daily outdoors, students will practice mindfulness, inclusivity, biomimicry design, and nature journaling. Students will dive deep into the function, strategies, and mechanisms of organisms in their biome and beyond! Pen and ink drawing, color pencil, watercolor techniques, and observational notation will be introduced and practiced daily. Nature magic helps students gain a deeper connection with nature, themselves, and others. Introducing participants to nature’s champions of adaptation sparks wonder of the natural world and reminds us that we are part of nature!
- Students will develop visual spatial recognition abilities through nature journaling and negative space drawing.
- Students will improve their observational and deductive skills.
- Students will be able to distinguish and define an organism’s – functions, strategies and mechanisms.
- Students will be able to analyze, identify and note stressors, boundaries and opportunities within a ecosystem.
- Students will be able to conceptualize abstract design ideas based on nature’s magic!
This residency can be adapted for students of all ages.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes per visit
- Prep hours: 1 hour per classroom
- Materials: $2 per classroom
- Travel from Cottage Grove
“The natural world offers an abundance of inspiration for improving our current systems, services and products. Discovering the potential for emulation of nature’s genius, instills awe, empowers individuals and communities, and provides hope.” – Heather Greene