Students will transform clay sculptures they create into animated video by learning to use digital technology together with their own creativity.
A Science+Art+Technology experience for students as they learn essentials of creating their own stop motion animation using the engaging and expressive medium of clay along with animating software and iPads. Students will learn methods of working collaboratively in supportive teams to create, design and produce whimsical video stories shared in Claymation video that explore and illuminate a theme devised by students or integrating a classroom theme.
Students will create stories to tell with clay figures, set up desk top animation studios by making backdrops and props that they design, and generate stop motion animated videos using teamwork skills, modeling clay, animation software and iPads. The Claymation videos students create which can be shared as a final film festival in class as well as accessed online.
Here is a sample final product from students at McCornack Elementary!
- Basic animation skills and terminology about stop motion animating with the Stop Motion Studio app; how to create special effects using Claymation techniques
- How to see a project through from beginning to end
- Gain familiarity with animation software that they can apply to other learning opportunities
- How to plan and plot the arc of an animated story and adapt to the time scheduled
- Basic clay shaping techniques and color mixing
- Language skills to share constructive critique for encouraging positive work-flow as a co-creating team
- How to apply classroom themes to the art of animation and express ideas across different media
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 3 hours per classroom
- Materials: $2 per student.
- Travel from Corvallis