Students will transform clay sculpture into animated video with the help of a little technology and a lot of creativity.
A Science+Art+Technology experience for students as they learn essentials of creating their own stop motion animation using the engaging and expressive medium of clay along with iPads. Students will learn methods of working collaboratively in supportive teams to create, design and produce whimsical video stories shared in Claymation video that explore and illuminate a theme devised by students or integrating a classroom theme.
Students will create stories depicted in storyboards, clay figures, and completed animated videos using teamwork skills, modeling clay, oil pastels, and iPads to create Claymation videos which can be shared in class and/or online if desired.
Here is a sample final product from students at McCornack Elementary!
- Basic animation skills and terminology through the Stop Motion Studio app; how to create special effects using Claymation techniques
- How to see a project through from beginning to end
- Gain familiarity with the Stop Motion Studio app that they can apply to other learning opportunities
- How to plan and plot the arc of an animated story while making a storyboard of a video
- Basic clay shaping techniques and color mixing
- Language skills to share constructive critique for encouraging positive work-flow as a co-creating team
- How to apply classroom themes to the art of animation and express ideas across different media
- Appropriate for all grade levels.
- 4 visits at 45 minutes each
- Prep hours: 3 hours per classroom
- Materials: $1.75 per student.
- Travel from Corvallis